Friday, February 7, 2014

Power Port

On Thursday, my husband and I left for the hospital at 7:10 am. We got home at 3:00 pm. Needless to say, it was a very long day.

The surgery was scheduled for 9:00 am, but I had to go in early to get prepped. We had the same nurse from my CT guided biopsy. She remembered us! We went through all the paper work and prepared for surgery. I told her about waking up in the middle of the last biopsy, and she said that she would make sure that that didn't happen again.

The surgeon turned out to be Korean! When he came, he greeted my husband and I in Korean and then said that he couldn't speak Korean that well. I replied, "Good, because I can't either."

The operating room is a cold, cold place. Literally. They have to keep it at a temperature where bacteria can't thrive. Makes sense. But, it is still a cold, cold place. Thankfully, they gave me another warmed blanket when I got there.

I heard the anesthesia nurse tell me that she was going to give me some medicine. Then, she said that she was going to give me more. I can't remember after that. I conked out.

Sealed with glue.

The next thing I knew, I could hear that I was in the recovery room, but I couldn't open my eyes or speak. I kept going in and out of consciousness. I heard my husband's voice, and then I conked out again. It took more than an hour and a half before I could open my eyes and keep them somewhat opened.

They wheel chaired me to my chemo appointment. We had to go through the hospital to do this. I could  barely keep my eyes open. I could feel people's stares even though my eyes were closed. I must have looked a wreck. Really.

The extra anesthesia made it a little more difficult for me. I was nauseous, drowsy, and had the worst headache. Each movement made it worse. I wanted to sit perfectly still, but I had to move. The port was put on my right side so the right side of my chest, shoulder, and neck were extremely sore. It hurt even to swallow. Brought back memories of my thyroidectomy and frozen shoulders.

Right before starting my chemo treatment, I had to go to the bathroom. As I sat down, I felt that horrible feeling welling up in me to throw up. And throw up I did, three times, into the garbage can. Nurse S had been walking by when she heard the noise. She tried to get me to open the door, but I couldn't. When I finally did, it was a bit embarrassing. Throwing up while going to the bathroom. Thankfully, everything went into the garbage can and not on me or the floor.

I did feel a lot better after throwing up. Unfortunately, the anti-nausea drug that I usually take before chemo also came up with everything else.

When I got home, I was in and out again. Slept a lot. Ate a bit.

I'm still sore. I'm eating better. I'm recovering. I'm, thankfully, not nauseous. I added two more scars to my collection. And, I got a nifty card to carry in my wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment