Saturday, January 12, 2013

Non-Chance Encounters

Let me ask you something. Have you ever had a tug in your heart to do something? Maybe to help  someone, ask a question, exercise a random act of kindness... I felt that the other day. There was this woman I saw. I felt as if God wanted me to talk to her. Not for evangelism or anything like that. Just to talk to her. I can't explain why, I just felt like I should.


We can get into a very long discussion about my personality. I can be shy. I can be antisocial. Ask my brother and sister. Ask my husband. But I can also be very bold and daring. Can't understand me? It's okay. I'm just glad that God understands me and loves me!


Well, I asked God to give me an opportunity to talk to her if that is what He wanted me to do. And the opportunity came that day at the children's school PTO meeting. Her younger daughters are in A2's classroom and the oldest daughter is in A1's class. As she left A1's classroom I asked, "Are you Korean?"

If you ask that question to 90% of the Asians (in my informal estimation) on the Kona campus, they will say, "Yes." They might either be Korean American or Korean Korean. Get it. Got it. Good.

It turns out that this beautiful woman was a Korean Norwegian. She had been adopted by a Norwegian family when she was a few months old. We had a conversation about our families (her daughters are beautiful), her and her Norwegian husband's involvement at the Crossroads DTS, and Korea.

It was a delight meeting her and talking to her. We exchanged email addresses and it turns out that we live across from each other. She is in the building in front of ours.

God opened the door for me to meet this woman. I just had to take that step forward. And I was so blessed.

I know that there have been other times in my life when God has asked me to do something or speak to someone. And I know that I chose to not listen. And I lost blessings that I could have received. I regret those times.


No comments:

Post a Comment