Saturday, March 22, 2014

Happening #1

Within the past few weeks, a few things have been happening in our home. Boy, oh boy, do I have some stories to tell.

This past winter was brutal in our area. It snowed a lot, and it was f-r-i-g-i-d. I haven't seen this kind of weather in a really long time. This was the type of winter I remember growing up with. There was always a lot of snow to build forts, and the windchill was always below zero. We are in the middle of March, and we are still being threatened by some snow flurries and arctic winds.

Well, one of the first happenings to hit our home was ants. What? It's not even Spring! I know! We never saw winter ants before! Usually, they come mid-Spring to Summer. The ground outside was covered white with deep snow. I found the little pests under the table, and then all over the floor. Freak out - although, I wasn't as freaked out as I used to be.

I started squashing and spraying a vinegar and water solution on them. Did nothing to them. Then, I sprayed full strength vinegar on them: nothing. That is when I remembered something someone had told me a long time ago. I filled a spray bottle with dishwashing detergent and water. I sprayed those pesky ants, and they were dead. Don't ask me how it works. I just know that it works.

If you know me well enough, I hate bugs. But, I think that I'm beginning to get de-sensitized to ants. I find that I don't scream and panic as much.

After cleaning all of my floors, I went full force and put natural and man-made ant traps out. The man-made traps kill the ants as soon as they come out of the traps. The natural ant killer solution lets them drink in the deceptively sweet solution and take it back to the colony. We were talking to the ants and praying that they would take it back to the queen! The ants were gone for a while and then came back a few at a time. I'm still fighting the battle!

Wait until I tell you about the other happenings!


No comments:

Post a Comment