Friday, April 25, 2014

Neulasta Shot #3

Everything didn't go as planned with this Neulasta shot. I washed my hands. I prepped the area with alcohol. I prepped the shot. Then, I tried to push the needle in, and it hurt. It felt like there was something blocking it from going in. Mind you, the needle is really small. It didn't really hurt a lot the other two times. As I tried to push it in, I checked to make sure there wasn't some strange bone in my stomach fat. Yes, it was that perplexing that I thought I was hitting a stomach bone. Yes, I do know that I do not have a stomach bone. And no, I do not have washboard abs. I have fluffy abs. Anyways, I let out a bit of a, "Aaahhh," and then there was relief. The needle went in as if that imaginary stomach bone had disappeared.

A few hours later, I realized that I had not taken Claritin. Yikes!! I should have taken it the day before. Then, I took it, well, after forgetting again and remembering again. By Saturday night, I started feeling the effects of the shot. My body and lower back started to ache. I had to prepare myself for the effects.

On Easter Sunday, I had to be the "masked" samonim (pastor's wife) because of my low white blood cell count. I couldn't risk getting sick, and I wanted to attend the Easter service. That morning, I forgot to take the Claritin. Again. This was not looking too good. By late morning, the effects of the Neulasta had taken hold of my lower back. I was achey and in pain. It was difficult to sit still, but I had to!

Monday, I was ready to take the Claritin, and then, I forgot to take it. Again. I took it a few hours later then I should have. That night, we went to a dinner for the youth pastor and his wife who are leaving for Korea at the end of this month. I don't know about you, but sometimes, things happen all at once in my life!

The 3rd or 4th day of the shot, I've noticed that back muscle spasms begin. Usually, the pain shoots down my lower back into my left thigh and causes it to lose all strength and buckle. No matter how careful I am, I can never predict when the muscle spasms will occur. Thankfully, it was not continuous.

This time the back muscle spasms hit on Tuesday night - prayer meeting night. I was going back and forth about going. As the time drew near, I decided to go. Unfortunately, it was very difficult keeping full focus because of the discomfort and pain. Thankfully, I was able to pray, and I didn't get a back muscle spasm.

By Wednesday, the pain had gotten more manageable, but we had a visitation at night. Sitting in chairs for long periods of time are not helpful. By the end, my body was more achey and pained. But, I was glad to have been able to go. Really.

In between all of this, my new addiction kept rearing its head, and I couldn't stop myself. That's another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment