Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Nice Scar

I have a scar across my neck because of my thyroidectomy. The doctor explained that he was going to cut in the natural fold of my neck, so the scar wouldn't be so noticeable. I had no idea what the scar would look like. I didn't really care. I just wanted the (thyroid) cancer out.

After my surgery, my eyes were open to thyroidectomy scars. That is when I started to notice that there were a lot of people that had them. Mostly women. An abundance of them. Why hadn't I noticed before?

Some of the scars are still red from being fresh. Some of the scars are so faded that you can't even see them. Some are a bit high in the neck. Some are a bit too low. Some are very straight across, while others are a bit crooked. Some look very jagged, while some look quite smooth. So many variations.

When I see people with a thyroidectomy scar, I find myself admiring their scar or being thankful for mine. I confess that I talk to myself saying:


"Nice scar." 

"Yikes!"

"Is that what my scar looked like?" 

"Wow, can't even tell on that person."


Let me tell you, I do appreciate a good scar when I see one.


No comments:

Post a Comment