Monday, June 11, 2012

The Waters of Marah

I love reading through the Old Testament. It is so exciting and full of lessons that challenge me. This is one of those stories. It is found in Exodus 15:22-27. The Israelites had experienced the parting of the Red Sea 3 days earlier. They had been traveling in the desert and had come across the waters of Marah. This oasis turned out to have bitter, undrinkable water. That is when the grumbling began.

Instead of choosing to trust and believe God (who had brought them out of Egypt and parted the Red Sea for them to cross on dry ground), they chose to do what is natural to all humans: complain! They chose to keep their eyes on themselves instead of on the One who had delivered them from the Egyptians.

On Saturday, there was something that was really bothering me. Something that kept preoccupying my thoughts and was making me feel down. That is when God reminded me of this passage. The passage that I was going to give a children's sermon on Sunday. I felt as if He was asking me if I was going to choose to trust Him. I, unconsciously, gritted my teeth because I didn't want to let go of my complaining. I thought that I was right in my thinking.

But God... helped me to see. It was no use complaining. It was only getting me more upset. It would not change the situation. And that is when I had to ask Him to help me. I basically prayed:

Father,

This situation is getting me really upset. I don't feel like it is right. You see everything. I can't do anything to change the situation. Help me to give it to You and allow You to take the situation into Your hands. I want to choose to look to You instead of the situation.

In Jesus name,
Amen

And you know what! I felt so much better. As I let go, He took care of the rest. I could function again.

A short distance from Marah, the Israelites came to Elim. There were 12 springs of water and 70 date palm trees there. If only they had just trusted Him and waited. Unfortunately, they chose to complain and complain they did and continued to do... Don't let the enemy rob you of the peace that can be yours in Jesus.


1 comment: