Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Reading Isaiah

The Old Testament book of Isaiah will always have a very special place in my heart. I believe that God led me to that book when I was in a very dire situation in 1991. Yes, 1991. Don't make me feel old.

I was on a two month mission trip in Kenya. I was trying to adjust to the different culture. I was awkwardly shy, yet not. And during the time that I was with a missionary family, I found out that I had malaria. Yes, I was taking malaria pills. Yes, I still got malaria. Still remember the mosquito bite I got on my ankle. I will spare you the details of my illness, but it was pretty bad. I hit bottom: physically and emotionally. There is nothing worse than being sick in a foreign country. All you want is familiar things and your mommy.

I was desperate for encouragement and I cried out to God to speak to me through His Word. He showed me Isaiah 41:10.


So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


His words gave me strength. His words gave me hope. His words were what I needed. That precious time with Him really spoke to my heart.

After I got better, I decided to read through the whole book of Isaiah. So many reminders. So much encouragement.

For those of you who started the Bible reading plan with me: keep pushing forward! We are more than half way through! Yes, we are on the book of Isaiah. We need to keep placing His word in our hearts so that we won't sin against Him.

For those of you who didn't start the Bible reading plan with me, each day is a new day to start reading through God's Word...


No comments:

Post a Comment