My sister gave me a recipe for baked french toast many years ago when I needed to make breakfast for 20+ adults very early in the morning. This is a great recipe to make ahead, take out the day of, bake, and enjoy. My kids go crazy for this! I used to make a huge pan and eat it throughout the day. Yes, it is that good!
I apologize for the lack of pictures and for the bad lighting. I made everything and realized that I should have taken pictures. The picture above shows the french toast before it went into the oven.
Please use real butter.
Please use real maple syrup.
Baked French Toast
1 French bread baguette (12" or so) (cut into 1" slices)
[I used a raisin brioche loaf I had in the freezer.]
1/2 stick butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
(for this recipe I also used 1 teaspoon of cinnamon)
- Spread butter over the bottom and sides of a deep baking dish.
- Spread butter on both sides of bread slices.
- Arrange slices of bread in the baking dish.
- Beat eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour over bread.
- Turn slices to coat with mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, take out of refrigerator and let sit on counter for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 10 minutes and turn bread slices over.
- Bake for another 10(+) minutes until golden brown.
- (You can also not turn the bread slices over and just bake for 20 + minutes until golden brown.)
- Serve with maple syrup.