Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baked French Toast

Okay, so this is not a healthy breakfast recipe, but I had to make it for A3's birthday. I had to, I tell 'ya! It a special treat that comes out on special occasions, when we have to feed a large group breakfast, or when I have a loaf of day old french bread. I like that I don't have to fry a million slices of bread... on both sides.

My sister gave me a recipe for baked french toast many years ago when I needed to make breakfast for 20+ adults very early in the morning. This is a great recipe to make ahead, take out the day of, bake, and enjoy. My kids go crazy for this! I used to make a huge pan and eat it throughout the day. Yes, it is that good!




I apologize for the lack of pictures and for the bad lighting. I made everything and realized that I should have taken pictures. The picture above shows the french toast before it went into the oven.

Please use real butter.

Please use real maple syrup.


Baked French Toast

1 French bread baguette (12" or so) (cut into 1" slices)
[I used a raisin brioche loaf I had in the freezer.]
1/2 stick butter (room temperature)
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

maple syrup

(for this recipe I also used 1 teaspoon of cinnamon)


  1. Spread butter over the bottom and sides of a deep baking dish.
  2. Spread butter on both sides of bread slices.
  3. Arrange slices of bread in the baking dish.
  4. Beat eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
  5. Pour over bread. 
  6. Turn slices to coat with mixture.
  7. Cover with plastic wrap.
  8. Refrigerate overnight.
  9. The next morning, take out of refrigerator and let sit on counter for 20 minutes.
  10. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  11. Bake 10 minutes and turn bread slices over.
  12. Bake for another 10(+) minutes until golden brown.
  13. (You can also not turn the bread slices over and just bake for 20 + minutes until golden brown.)
  14. Serve with maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment