Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lotion That Looks Like Soap

A few weeks ago, I was trying out different lotion recipes when I came across hard lotion. Basically, it looks like a bar of soap. You rub it between your hands and your body temperature melts enough to coat your hands. You can even buy kits to make it.

This is a lotion for children/adults with eczema or really dry skin. You can use it on your hands or for your body. The key is to hold it in your hands a bit and then rub. The lotion coats your hands and doesn't make it feel greasy. Your hands do feel "coated," but in a good way. I found that it moisturized my dry hands and helped to keep the moisture in. I gave some to two different "dry hand" friends. One of them got back to me and told me that her husband loves it. She wants the recipe.

Since I was sampling this type of lotion, I made what seemed like a small batch. It turned out to be quite a lot (6-7 regular size cupcake tins filled 1/3 of the way). My mistake was using cupcake tins for my molds. Do not use cupcake tins for molds. The hard lotion looks cute, but when you rub it between your hands the crinkly edges come off. I would recommend that you use a mold that has smooth edges.

You can also use it on your lips. I did. I actually put it on my lips and the surrounding area of my mouth before going to sleep. I need to make some more because my daughter's eczema is acting up. She can carry this around in her little bag and use it whenever she needs itch control.


Lotion That Looks Like Soap
adapted from hardlotion.com

1 oz. shea butter
1 oz. coconut oil
1 oz. beeswax pastilles

Melt all three ingredients in a double boiler. It will take a while longer for the beeswax to melt. Be patient. Use a wooden skewer to stir the contents. Once completely melted, pour into molds (quickly). Let cool.


I don't know what happened to the picture of the lotion in the molds. Sorry. Just a picture of the melting shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax.



No comments:

Post a Comment