Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Flour Cupcakes

I had a real hankering for some cake on Monday night, but cake ain't so good for me. My solution: cake made from coconut flour vs. white flour. It was my first time baking with coconut flour (yes, there is such a thing). 


Coconut flour is used in a lot of gluten free recipes. It is high in fiber and low in carbs. It is a bit on the expensive side (a little over $8/lb.), but it is a good alternative for white flour recipes. There is another alternative, almond flour, but it is not an option for my nut allergy children (A2 and A3). I was very glad that this recipe required very little coconut flour, which means that I can bake over 100 of these with a one pound bad.


Overall, the recipe was really simple and didn't require a stand mixer. A2 and A3 helped me whisk the mixture, and we were done very quickly.  The cupcakes turned out moist and fluffy. They were not overly sweet and had a chocolatey flavor - no coconut flavor. My children were actually shocked when I told them that it was made with coconut flour. My children enjoyed eating their cupcakes with vanilla ice cream and sprinkles. They are all gone now. Will have to make more... maybe tomorrow?




Chocolate Coconut Flour Cupcakes
adapted from elanaspantry.com


1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup agave nectar


1. Blend eggs, oil, and agave in a bowl.
2. Sift dry ingredients into another bowl: coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. Blend dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix well.
4. Place 10 cupcake liners onto a baking pan.
5. Scoop 1/4 cup of mixture into each liner.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool and serve.
8. Makes 10 cupcakes.



















No comments:

Post a Comment