Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Appa and Umma


These are my parents. They have been through a lot together. They left Korea when they were in their 30's to pursue a better life for their children. They left Korea with very little money and ventured to Argentina. They worked different jobs there. Working their hands to the bone. They knew no Spanish. They had very little money. They knew only two other people: my uncle and aunt. But they had determination.

When the opportunity arose, they moved to United States. They worked the immigrant life. They cleaned offices, worked in factories, saved money, bought a business, worked 12 hour days. They would wake up in the darkness of the early morning, go to the early morning prayer service at their church, drive an hour into the city to their dry cleaners, work twelve hour days, drive home another hour, cook, eat, sleep, and start the day again. That was all they knew, because they wanted their children to live a better life.

I cannot tell you how happy I was the day that they retired. They could rest and do the things that they wanted to do. They didn't have to drive into the city. They didn't have to deal with difficult customers. They could just enjoy their hard earned retirement.

I am forever grateful to my parents, even though I don't always show it. Not only did they work tirelessly to give us better lives, they also prayed over our lives. When they came to the United States, they went to church, met Jesus, and their lives were transformed.

They prayed for my sister, brother, and I. Everyday. They bathed us in prayer. Those prayers are what brought us out of difficult circumstances. Those prayers are what kept us following Jesus. Now, 9 grandchildren later, my parents still pray for us. Everyday.

Thank you, Jesus, for showing me Your love through my parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment