Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Watermelon Sorbet



A while back, I had asked my husband for an ice cream maker so that I could make some non-dairy ice cream. Ice cream has always been a part of my life: winter, spring, summer, or fall. It made sense to me that we should have one, but it didn't make sense to him. He said that we had no room in our home and that we didn't need one. Unfortunately, he wouldn't budge.

And then, one day this past summer, an ice cream maker fell on my lap, and I had nothing to do with it! Really! Really! Since it was free, my husband said that it was okay. That began my quest for a simple sorbet or ice cream recipe.

When someone gave us two homegrown watermelons, my husband chopped them up and we ate a whole watermelon in one sitting. But, we still had a lot of leftover watermelon so I decided to make some sorbet.

I also made some mango sorbet with this recipe. Sorry, but I forgot to take pictures. This is a really simple and delicious recipe. The original recipe called for 1 1/4 cups of sugar. I added 1 cup, but it was a bit sweet for us. Depending on the sweetness of the fruit, I wouldn't add too much sugar. Maybe none at all.


Watermelon Sorbet
adapted from Alton Brown


1 pound, 5 ounces watermelon cut (approximately, one large, Corelle bowl of fruit)
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons vodka (keeps mixture from freezing into one large popsicle)
3/4 cups sugar (or less if fruit is really sweet)


1. Place cut watermelon in a blender or food processor.


2. Blend until smooth.

3. Add lemon juice, vodka, and sugar, and blend until fully mixed.

4. Place mixture in the freezer until it reaches 40 degrees (one hour or so).


5. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker.


6. Process according to manufacturer's directions.

7. Transfer into airtight container and place in freezer for 3-4 hours.


My children couldn't wait for the sorbet to set in the freezer. We ate it as soon as it was done in the ice cream maker. It was a bit sorbet, granita-like and refreshingly cool and delicious. Hope you enjoy!

Another way to make this recipe without an ice cream maker:
1. Place mixture in an airtight bowl in the freezer.
2. Every hour, break up the ice that forms and mix.
3. After a few hours, you will have an icy treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment