Monday, February 6, 2012

Steel Cut Oats with Bananas

Last week, I went to Whole Foods and purchased some steel cut oats. I had always wanted to see what the big deal was with these type of oats. I had heard and read a lot about the taste and nutrition, but I was afraid to purchase them because it was unfamiliar to me.

Steel cut oats (L) and old fashioned rolled oats (R).

Organic steel cut oats were $1.49/lb. in the bulk section of Whole Foods. I ended up getting $0.44 worth so that we could try it. That amount fed A1, A2, A3, and I. It did take more time to cook than the old fashioned rolled oats but it was very easy to prepare. Steel cut oats are the most minimally processed of the oats, so it takes longer to cook (15-30 minutes). The texture is also chewier and a bit nuttier than regular oatmeal.

Place bananas in sauce pan and mash with a spoon.

My children liked the chewier texture and asked if I could make it again. I just made it with the ingredients I had on hand but I think that you can get really creative with the flavors and toppings. I will definitely be going back to Whole Foods and purchasing more. 

The oats thicken as you cook them.

Ready to eat.


Steel Cut Oats with Bananas

1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats
3 cups of rice milk (or more if you like a more watery consistency)
1 banana

1. Place ingredients in sauce pan.
2. Mash up bananas.
3. Place over medium heat.
4. Set timer for 20 - 25 minutes.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Lower heat to simmer with lid on.
7. Stir every 5 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment