Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homemade Beeswax Cream


Who would have thought that I would be making my own body cream? I never did. Who has the time? Who even knows how? Who wants to bother when you can just buy some at Target? 

I was going to get on my soap box and tell you about all the dangers in the products that we use, but I won't. I will encourage you read up on the subject and make your own decision. I recently finished reading No More Dirty Looks. It talks about all the surprising chemicals in our makeup/lotions/hygiene products and the lack of regulation in this billion dollar industry. Very informative.

Well, this is a cream that is 100% natural and has no chemicals. I tweaked it a little and am really pleased with the results. I had made a batch a few months ago. It had been the first time that I had made homemade cream and my kids didn't like it, at first. They thought that it smelled too "cocoa buttery." I had also made the mistake of leaving some ingredients out and not mixing it well enough. 

This time, I think I got it! My kids were lining up to get their dry, cracked skin creamed. I would lotion one of their legs and have them see the difference. It was quite drastic. I wished that I had taken some pictures... 


I purchased most of the ingredients (including the glass jars) at Mountain Rose Herbs. Some of the ingredients were purchased on Amazon or at Whole Foods. You take your pick. I also tried to choose organic products. 


My cousin gave me the original recipe. The original required some distilled water. I chose not to use distilled water because water gives it a shorter shelf life (3 weeks). Add water to anything, and it raises the chances of bacteria forming. That is why body products with water have so many preservatives. I substituted the water with aloe vera after watching some lotion making videos. I also used an opaque jar because some of these ingredients are light sensitive.


Beeswax Cream
makes 9 oz.

6 tablespoons sweet almond oil
1 tablespoon beeswax pastilles
1 tablespoon cocoa butter
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon vitamin e
1/4 teaspoon lanolin
6 tablespoons aloe vera gel
15-18 drops of essential oil (I used lemon essential oil)

  1. Place almond oil, beeswax, and cocoa butter in a bowl over boiling water. Melt.
  2. Add coconut oil. Stir. Melt.
  3. Let the oil/butters cools to room temperature. It will look slightly opaque when it is cooled down.
  4. Place aloe in a glass. Place in the pot with hot water to warm up the aloe.
  5. Blend with a whisk attachment (I used an immersion blender with a whisk attachment).
  6. Slowly, add the warmed aloe.
  7. Pour into the cup that is given with the immersion blender or a large cup (this makes it easier to blend).
  8. Blend until thick, smooth, and creamy.
  9. Add essential oils (if you want a scent other than the cocoa butter smell), vitamin e, and lanolin.
  10. Blend well.
  11. Pour into sanitized glass containers (Wipe the inside with a alcohol).
  12. Let cool and then cover with lid.


No comments:

Post a Comment