Monday, January 9, 2012

Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal

My children really, really like it when I make this oatmeal for them. They hug me and say, "Thank you, Mommy, for making this for us!" When I was hanging out at Whole Foods a lot, I found that they had organic old fashioned oats for around $1.69/lb. or so (at the bulk section). You can actually get a lot for the same price as a container with the guy with the funny haircut on it. I thought that it would be fun to experiment different ways to make homemade oatmeal.

The first thing I did was pick the old fashioned rolled oats versus the instant ones because they sounded healthier. Don't you agree? Instant or quick oats are actually processed more, cut up, and have a mushier texture. I found that the old fashioned oats are chewy and really hearty. It takes more time to cook, but I think that it is worth it. This is simple, hot, and just plain good!


Here are the ingredients you will need. Minus the rice milk. Forgot to add it to the photo.


Ch ch chia is a superfood. Read for yourself. It says so on the package! It is full omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fiber. It is better than flax because it has no plant estrogen. It has a very mild flavor and adds crunch to foods. My children love it on oatmeal, rice, yogurt...


As easy as mix, boil, and simmer.


Sprinkle chia seeds on top of oatmeal before serving.


Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Makes 4 servings

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3 1/2 cups rice milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
chia seeds (yes, ch ch chia)

1. Pour rolled oats, rice milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup in a small pot.
2. Cover the pot and cook over medium-high heat.
3. Stir occasionally.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Pour into individual bowls.
7. Sprinkle chia seeds on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment