Tuesday, January 3, 2012

They're Back...

Before my surgery, I had some joint aches and pains. I would get up out of a chair and would feel like a grandma - groaning and all. It would take me a while to slowly straighten my back. Also, if I sat too long with my legs bent in one position, it would kill to straighten them out. Same thing with my arms. I blamed my rheumatoid arthritis which had mostly been in my fingers. After talking to my oncologist, I found out that it was one of the side effects of the hormone drug I take. I was relieved to know that it was because of the medication but the aches were still there.

My oncologist said that she could prescribe something for the pain. I didn't want to take more medication. She urged me to, at least, take some ibuprofen to relieve the pain. She didn't want me to wait too long before taking something because it might not be as effective by that time. Unfortunately, I don't like taking too much medication, even if it is over the counter.

After my surgery, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't have those aches. It was weird at first. I thought that I was rid of the painful creeks in my life. But, I guess I had more painful aches to deal with. Bigger pains trump smaller ones.

Within the last two weeks, I have slowly felt those pains creep back into my body as the surgery pain levels have gone down. This time it has been more targeted in my right shoulder. I guess that they're baaaack!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate zippered jackets, cardigans, stretchy tops... Sometimes when I am changing my shirt, I get stuck and I can't move. My shoulder kind of locks in place. During those situations, I call my husband or my daughter, A2. When I am alone, I have to try several times before I can get that shirt over my shoulders. Sometimes it make me want to laugh at the picture of me trying to get the shirt over my shoulders. Sometimes it makes me want to cry with pain and frustration.

Today was one of those days that the pain was particularly not pleasant in my shoulder. The cold, January weather seemed to make it worse. Then, I remembered a woman at my church who has rheumatoid arthritis. Her arthritis is pretty bad. There were days when she couldn't even get out of bed. I thought of how much more her whole body must ache during these cold months. That's when I realize that my pain is back but it ain't so bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment