Friday, December 23, 2011

Shampoo and Vinegar Anyone?

I made my own shampoo. Okay, I said it. Don't look at me funny. I made the decision to do this after reading about all the parabens, phthalates, and other chemicals in personal care products. Some might think that I'm hanging out at Whole Foods too much, maybe I am?

These are the facts of my life:
  1. my body has a compromised immune system. 
  2. my body has a weak liver. 
  3. my body doesn't need more estrogen. 
  4. my body doesn't need extra chemicals.

After getting sick, I started to read up on this subject. The more I read, the more aware I became of things that I had never given a second thought to. We continue to use non-stick fry pans even though the fumes from them can kill small birds. We are warned not to breathe in the fumes of gasoline or to let it come in contact with our skin, but we put it all over our bodies in the form of petroleum jelly. If you want to read something really scary, read this article about what they do to the 100% orange juice that we drink. It gets stored for over a year and has chemicals put in to "revive" the flavor! Articles like this are unbelievable! We think, "Not in America!" Okay, okay...getting off of my soap box.

I want to acknowledge that it is close to impossible to be chemical free in the United States. But I do want to simplify the products that I use. Thus, the shampoo. It was really easy to make and it does make your hair squeaky clean (literally). What about conditioner? Organic, apple cider vinegar of course! Huh? Yes, vinegar. It is supposed to restore your hair to its natural pH level.

I used it for quite a while after my surgery. I noticed that my hair was getting really clean but it was a bit drying. I didn't mind the shampoo but the apple cider vinegar took some getting used to. It actually made my hair really soft, but the smell... The smell was strong. It also kept my kids out of the bathroom when I took a shower, which was wonderful. All the moms out there know what I'm talking about! When I blow dried my hair, most of the smell would dry away. But, there was always a faint smell left over that would fade as the day passed. This made me paranoid.

After my surgery, I had to keep meeting up with each of my three surgeons and my oncologist. I wore hats to try and contain the smell (also because I had crazy hair because my husband was blow drying my hair). One time I stopped by my brother's house and had my sister-in-law smell my head. She said it was okay. Phew!

This is the conclusion that I have come to: I have to find a more conditioning shampoo recipe and a different conditioner. For now, I settled for the Whole Foods brand shampoo and conditioner. It is the 365 brand and the price is very similar to the shampoo that I buy for our family. If you have a good recipe that isn't hard on the budget, please email me. I'm still searching but when I find that great recipe, you can be sure that I will share it with all of you!

For those who are curious, here is the recipe for the shampoo:


Easy Shampoo Recipe
(adapted from Mom's Aware)

10 oz.     water
1 - 2 oz.  liquid castille soap
1 tspn.    glycerin

Mix together and use as regular shampoo. Use up in a week or two.

You can add essential oils which are natural scents.


No comments:

Post a Comment