Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Asian Snack Mix

This year, I was limited to what goodies I could make for Christmas. Really limited. My husband was too busy and tired to help me with any large scale baking projects, so I had to keep it simple. I already knew that I wanted to make the White Christmas Snack Mix, but I needed something to balance it. Then, I found this recipe for a salty and Asian snack mix from La Fuji Mama.


Let me tell you that the liquid mixture smells like a buttery, Asian bakery. It smelled so good in my house. I made one batch and realized that I needed to make more. I had gotten a late start (8:30 pm) and my husband started to get really sleepy. I sent him upstairs and set the timer to remind me to stir this mix every 15 minutes. Why do you have to stir it every 15 minutes? It will burn if you don't. Please set a timer.


This snack mix takes more time than the White Christmas Snack Mix, but it is worth it. I did find the first batch a bit salty, but it might have been because I had added a little more soy sauce than stated - my bad... The first batch was really good, but I also wanted to make a batch with a little kick to it. For the second batch I added Tabasco. It was very good. I made 3 batches total. My arm hurt at the end but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't stop myself from making this. Please don't tell my mother.


For those of you who have never heard of nori komi furikake, it is a dried seaweed mixture that you sprinkle on your rice. My sister's mother-in-law sprinkles it on her oatmeal. There are a lot of different ways you can eat this. I found it at a Japanese super market. I believe that they sell it at Korean super markets also.


We had some leftovers of this mix and I ate it all. Hopefully, my husband won't notice.


(Pictures are very rustic. Someone teach me Photo Shop!!)



Asian Snack Mix
(adapted from La Fuji Mama)

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup butter (one stick)
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 - 1 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce (optional)
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup sugar
7 cups Chex rice cereal
3 cups of Honeycomb cereal
3 cups of Bugles
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 cup nori komi furikake

-Preheat oven to 250ยบ.
-Place oil, butter, corn syrup, soy sauce, (tabasco, cayenne,) and sugar in a saucepan.
-Melt over medium heat.
-Keep stirring.
-Pour Chex, Honeycomb, Bugles, cashews, and peanuts in a large bowl.
-Drizzle 1/4 of the liquid mixture over the cereal mixture and mix.
-Then, sprinkle 1/4 of furikake over the cereal mixture and mix.
-Keep alternating and mixing between the liquid and furikake.
-Be gentle when mixing and make sure to coat all of the cereal.
-Pour into two baking pans.
-Bake for 1 hour, stirring the mix every 15 minutes.
-When done, pour the mixture over paper towels to dry.
-Store in airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment