Kevin was finishing second grade and was a really sweet kid. I made him work really hard. Sometimes I feel guilty about making him work so hard. He had to write a lot of things for me. Sometimes he had to rewrite what he had rewritten. I enjoyed seeing him progress and mature. I ended up tutoring him for two years.
Over the years, his mom was very gracious to me. She would call me and drop by our house. I hadn't seen her for quite some time until I saw her at the Costco parking lot. My cancer came up and she told me that she also had some news for me. I thought that she was sick because she looked like she had lost a lot of weight. I had to wait to find out.
Kevin's mom came to our house the next week and told me that Kevin had thyroid cancer. He is a junior in high school and had surgery last Christmas at the Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately, they couldn't get all of the cancer out, so tomorrow he is scheduled to have a second surgery. It has taken this long to try to reschedule another surgery.
I beg of you all to pray for Kevin. I was so encouraged to find out that God has been comforting him and his family. This situation had brought them closer to Him.
- that the surgery will continue as scheduled (Wednesday / 10:00 am / Central Time).
- that God will give wisdom and skill to the doctors and surgeons.
- that the surgeon will be able to take out all of the cancer.
- that the surgeon will be able to repair the damage done to Kevin's vocal cords.
- that Kevin will have a quick and complete recovery.
- that God will take care of the fact that it is Kevin's junior year in high school.
- that God will comfort and strengthen his family.