Monday, April 23, 2012

Floor Cleaner


Cleaning laminate floors is a daily chore. Unlike carpet, you can see all the dust, crumbs, and hair, on the floor. When we first got laminate flooring, I dusted and cleaned the floors daily. After a year or so, I dusted daily, but waited a few days to clean the floors with a wet cleaner.

Then, I got sick. It all seems to come to that. My turning point. It was at that point that I started to become aware of unnecessary chemicals in our home. My ears would perk up when people would talk about the effects of chemicals in our lives. At that point, someone told me that those wet antibacterial floor wipes weren't so good for you. Makes sense: wet chemicals on floor - bare feet - unnecessary chemical exposure. You get the picture.

Well, I was shown an alternative. The Rubbermaid floor cleaner. I think that I got it for $24 at Target, and I've seen it on sale for $20. You get to fill the container with whatever floor cleaner you want to use and the pad on the bottom is reusable and washable. I fill mine with 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water.

Yes, it does smell like vinegar when you spray. But, as soon as the solution dries, there is no smell. Ask my children. Ask my husband.

In the past when I had used antibacterial floor wipes, I always felt a slight stickiness to the floors. I tried to get rid of it, but I think that it was just the chemical residue of the floor wipes. When I switched to the vinegar and water solution, my floors were squeaky clean. AND, no chemical smell!

One thing: I don't like to use the Rubbermaid in the bathrooms. I don't like to use what I use to clean the bathroom in other parts of the house. My quirk. I will spray with my handy dandy spray bottle and wipe with paper towels.


No comments:

Post a Comment