Thursday, April 12, 2012

A3 and the ER

There is something about A3 and ERs. I cannot even remember all the times that we have had to visit the ER with A3: allergic reaction, busted lip, allergic reaction, busted chin, allergic reaction... We are very familiar with the ER near our house.

On Easter Sunday, A3 had woken up with a bit of a cold. He felt a bit warm (but no fever) and I told him that he would have to come home with me after lunch. We had finished eating and I was talking to someone when one of the students ran up to me and told me that A3 had thrown up. I ran and found him. Fortunately, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law were there to help me. They helped to clean up while I took care of A3 and gave him Benadryl. I found out that he might have eaten a chocolate that had peanuts in it.

We were going to leave but I realized that I had forgotten something in the main sanctuary. I got stopped here and there by different people and it took a while for me to finally get to the car. When I got to the car, A3 was on the floor laying down. He did finally get the strength to sit in the car seat but there were consequences. He threw up again.

By the time we got home, I was in a bit of a panic. I looked at his lips: not puffy. I asked him to say something to me: his voice was raspy. I asked him how his throat felt: not good. I gave him another Benadryl and frantically searched for the Epipen. I had given it to A2 the day before when they had gone somewhere with my husband. I couldn't find it and I knew that I had to give it to him.

I called my husband and had him bring the emergency one we kept in his office at church. For the second time in his life, I had to give A3 the Epipen shot on his thigh. He later asked me, "Mommy, why did you have to give it so hard?" I had to explain the instructions of administering that shot to him.

Well, we ended up spending 3 hours of Easter Sunday at the ER. A3 got really sleepy and I thought that he would sleep, but one of the workers offered him a movie list. He chose The Empire Strikes Back. His eyes were wide open during the whole movie. After it was done, he fell asleep.

Some of you might be wondering: why aren't you more careful! We are. A3 is. You would be amazed at how careful and self controlled A3 has been concerning food with peanuts. Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, some things just happen. We are very thankful for Benadryl, the Epipen, and the ER.


No comments:

Post a Comment