Monday, October 8, 2012

Coconut Hot Oil Treatment for Hair


I could tell that the weather was getting colder because my coconut oil solidified. This is the jar that I keep in my medicine cabinet. I use it to remove my makeup at the end of the day. During the summer months, it was in clear, liquid form. It was really interesting to watch the changes in the weather and in my coconut oil. Coconut oil turns into liquid form as soon as you touch it because it has a melting point of around 75 - 76 degrees.

Coconut oil can be used in so many ways. It can be used for cooking, makeup removal, shaving, as a moisturizer, and today I am going to show you how to use it as a hot oil treatment. You know, like those Vidal Sassoon hot oil treatments that were all the rage in the 80's and 90's.

A week and a half ago, I gave it a try because it was said to soften and help hair regrowth. Personally, I needed both of those results. Here are the steps that I took:


Coconut Hot Oil Treatment for Hair

  1. Heat 1/4 cup (might need up to 1/2 cup if you have longer hair) of coconut oil in the microwave for 20 seconds (or until warm).
  2. Make sure the coconut oil is not too hot.
  3. Spread the oil into your hair using your fingers.
  4. Massage into scalp and hair.
  5. If your hair is long enough, tie into a ponytail.
  6. If your hair is not long enough, spread hair across your head.
  7. Have another person, plastic wrap your hair around your head. My husband thought that I was really weird, but he did it for me.
  8. Wait 1-2 hours or sleep with your plastic wrapped head. 
  9. Shampoo a few times to get the oil out of your hair.
  10. Condition and style as usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment