Friday, October 12, 2012


Tuesday started off in a really terrible way. I tried to get up out of bed and nearly fell over. The room kept spinning and spinning. I thought that it was because it was so early and because I was half asleep. Bad memories of my surgery crept up, but I went back to sleep praying that everything was okay.

Unfortunately, it didn't get better. It got worse. When I woke up again, the spinning was unbearable. I couldn't lift my head off my pillow. I had to grab onto whatever was near me to keep stationary. Also, my husband had left on a trip and was not going to return until Wednesday night. I called my mom but my dad had gone golfing. No ride. Had to call my sister-in-law to see if she could drive my mother to my house. My sister-in-law was also sick. My brother ended up driving with my sister-in-law to my mother's and then to my house. Interrupted everyone's day.

Could not shower for 72 hours. Could not open my eyes because of the spinning and nausea. Could not go to the bathroom as often as I would have liked because it required great effort. Writing about the whole experience makes me nauseous.

This type of experience has happened to me, maybe, 3 times before. All when I was pregnant. I attributed all those episodes to indigestion. Growing up, I had watched this happen to my mother when she had eaten something that didn't agree with her. Then, I saw it happen to my brother. My sister must have my dad's iron stomach because this never happened to her.

Here I was experiencing the spinning once again, and I wasn't even pregnant! Don't worry! Oophorectomy, remember! It actually brought back memories of my surgeries and the reaction to morphine and anesthesia. Flashbacks kept creeping up on me. Double yikes! Not pleasant.

On Wednesday, there was less spinning but the nausea hadn't left. Once I got out of bed, I had to stay seated on a chair. The spinning only occurred when I got up out of bed or lay down. To avoid this, I had to sit because it was too dizzying (is this a word?) to lay down again and get back up, dizzying again, to go to the bathroom. So, I sat in a chair with my eyes closed listening to Moody radio. Not back friendly but less dizziness.

I am writing this on Thursday night. I was finally able to go downstairs. Couldn't come back up, but I was downstairs. As long as I kept my head straight, everything was okay. No moving my head in any way to the front, back, or sides. Had to keep the kids from running into me or bouncing on the couch next to me. I could finally keep my eyes open for long periods of time after lunchtime. Then, it was a lot better.

I am not 100%, but I am so much better. I have been begging God to wash the dizziness and nausea away. Too many things that a mom has to do. Not having these two around is such a blessing. Please pray for me. Please!

One last thing: the whites of my eyeballs were alarmingly white. Why? Because I had rested my eyes for 48 hours. Hadn't seen them that white in many years. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment