Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Vegan Black Bean Brownies, That's Right!

When I came across this recipe, I gasped. How could it be possible? How was it that no flour was used? How could I get my kids to eat it? So many questions... all I had to do was make it and get some people to taste test for me.

I apologize for no pictures, but it was dark, chocolate-fudge-brownie-like. And it was very good.

I pulled this recipe out, and A3 saw it. He said, "Yum Mom, can you make more?"

Hope to make these some time this week! Will try and take pictures and post them later.


Vegan Black Bean Brownies
adapted from mealmakeovermoms.com

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/3 very ripe banana
6 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

optional:
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

3 eggs instead of 6 tablespoons applesauce (for a non-Vegan version)


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place beans in food processor and mix until smooth.
3. Add bananas and applesauce and blend.
4. Add vanilla extract, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
5. Blend together.
6. **You can also add half of your chocolate chips and blend.
7. Line brownie pan with parchment paper for easy pan removal.
8. Pour batter into pan (can place remaining chocolate chips on top).
9. Bake for 20 minute intervals, checking to see if a toothpick comes out clean.
10. It took me over 1 1/2 hours to bake because of the applesauce. If you use eggs, it can take 35    minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment